Organization Unit: Department of Public Works, Parks, & Property
Reports to: Director of Public Works
Status: Full-time, Non-Bargaining Unit
Hours: M-F, 9:00am – 4:30pm
Posting Period: August 5, 2021 – August 19, 2021, or until position is filled
Salary range: $40,000 – $46,000
Benefits: Medical, Vision, Dental, & Life
Responsible for the implementation and direction of PA Act 101 guidelines within the City of Chester with regard to recycling and City Ordinance number 926. Responsible for managing the trash contract with the City’s residential trash vendor. Responsible for assisting with bulk trash phone calls, handicapped signs and other duties as assigned by the Director of Public Works.
- Prepare monthly reports of matters regarding recycling for distribution to Council and City Engineer;
- Direct both commercial and residential recycling programs;
- Responsible for public education and awareness of requirements pertaining to recycling program;
- Develop educational mailing, newspaper releases, and warning notices for commercial and residential recycling programs;
- Overseeing that private recycling haulers adhere to municipal contracts;
- Track tonnage of recyclable material generated by commercial and residential programs;
- Preparation and filing of applications and related correspondence for recycling performance grants;
- Implements recycling programs as directed by PA Act 101 within time frames dictated;
- Develops specifications and directs distribution of recycling containers;
- Answer questions and address complaints from the public at large;
- Liaison between private recycling haulers, the public, sorting centers and the City;
- Administers the annual recycling report program;
- Tracts permitting to private trash haulers in accordance with city ordinances;
- Assists with bulk trash phone calls and handicapped sign process
- All other duties as assigned by the Director of Public Works and/or the City Engineer or their designees.
- Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent;
- Must be a Chester resident;
- Must have a current PA Driver’s License;
- Must operate an insured personal vehicle or have access to one;
- Good interpersonal skills, professional telephone manner with excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong knowledge of Windows, specifically Word and Excel.
Work requires the ability to sit, stand, bend, reach, and occasionally lift objects (0-15lbs). Also requires individual to
drive around the City to ensure that trash vendor is adhering to service levels in contract.
The work is performed primarily in an office environment but is occasionally exposed to hot, cold and inclement weather, as well as dust, pollen, fumes and noise, outdoors.
CONTACT THE DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES AT 610-447-7834 TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION