CITY OF CHESTER
Please be advised that several City of Chester ordinances have been updated and code enforcement efforts will be stepped up effective January 1, 2017. Any person(s) not in compliance will be penalized according to each respective violation as outlined in the Codified Ordinances of the City of Chester. The information highlighted below can be used as a reference to ensure that you are familiar with the most up to date information and the correct Ordinance that supports our enforcement efforts.
Refuse Receptacles, Bulk Trash and Illegal Dumping:
Refer to ORDINANCE No. 20-2016
- Refuse Receptacles (trash cans) – EVERY household in the City of Chester MUST have a receptacle for the removal of refuse (garbage).
- Bulk Trash – Residents are limited to no more than six (6) items per bulk trash pickup. Annually, all households will receive a bulk trash pickup free of charge; all subsequent requests will be assessed a $25.00 fee.
Refer to PA Crimes Code, Title 18, Chapter 65 & ORDINANCE No. 20-2016
- Illegal Dumping – Any person(s) caught illegally dumping in the City of Chester will be fined $1,000 and could face jail time.
RECYCLING CANS CAN BE PICKED UP AT CHESTER CITY HALL DURING NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS.
ANY VIOLATION OF ORDINANCE No. 20-2016 WILL RESULT IN A FINE UP TO $1,000.00 AND UP TO 30 DAYS IN JAIL.
Refer to ORDINANCE No. 4-2016
- High Grass and Weeds – Improper maintenance or failure to remove weeds, grasses, trees, vines, bushes or other vegetable growth upon any lot, yard, area or piece of ground within the City, is declared to constitute a public nuisance.
Refer to ORDINANCE No. 12-2016
- Trash and Debris – Improper maintenance or removal of trash or debris upon any property owned or occupied within the City, can be declared as a condition causing or contributing to a nuisance detrimental to the public health.
ANY VIOLATION OF ORDINANCE No. 4-2016 or ORDINANCE No. 12-2016 WILL RESULT IN A FINE UP TO $300.00 WITHIN A TWELVE (12) MONTH PERIOD.
Uses Requiring a Permit:
Refer to ORDINANCE No. 9-2016
- Occupancy Permits – If you occupy a residential or commercial property without a Use and Occupancy Permit, you will be fined up to $1,000.00.
ANY VIOLATION OF ORDINANCE No. 9-2016 WILL RESULT IN A FINE UP TO $1,000.00.
Refer to Article No. 1363
- Zoning Permit – If any person fails to properly secure a zoning permit, the City of Chester will assess a $500 PER DAY fine from the date the penalty was issued.
ANY VIOLATION OF ANY ARTICLE OUTLINED IN THE ZONING ORDINANCE WILL RESULT IN A FINE.
Please reference the Zoning Ordinance by the link below:
Code Enforcement – Zoning Ordinance
Additional Referenced Ordinances: