CHESTER HOUSING AUTHORITY
Classification: Maintenance Manager
Supervisor: Director of Housing Operations
Effective date: July 1, 2020
Under the direction of the Director of Housing Operations, this team member plans, organizes, manages, and provides administration and oversight for the Chester Housing Authority Maintenance Department; sets priorities and directs the work of assigned staff on a project or day-to-day basis; supervises the full range of day-to-day technical maintenance, repair, installation, alteration, and construction activities involving carpentry, plumbing, roofing, painting, mechanical, heating, air conditioning, and electrical trades work to improve, maintain, and renovate CHA buildings, facilities, and grounds; performs a variety of administrative tasks relative to the functional area; and performs related work as required.
Essential Job Functions
Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations where and when appropriate so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Plans, organizes, assigns, supervises and reviews work of assigned staff in the maintenance of all Housing Authority buildings and facilities.
- Manages the work order system and daily allocation of tasks for assigned maintenance staff in order to meet the appropriate priority for the work. Provides monthly reports to the Director of Housing Operations on work output.
- Ensures and measures customer service in accordance with the Agency’s expectations.
- Observes, directs, and evaluates the execution of the full range of facilities maintenance duties which includes a wide variety of routine to technical maintenance, repair, installation, alteration, and construction activities involving carpentry, plumbing, roofing, painting, mechanical, heating, air conditioning, and electrical trades work; may participate in performing technical building maintenance and repair work if qualified.
- Ensures that the Authority’s maintenance policies and procedures are followed and updated as needed.
- Evaluates employee performance, including completing performance evaluations, advices and effectively recommending progressive disciplinary action as needed; assists in employee selection and promotion. Manages leave requests from staff to ensure adequate day time and on–call coverage at all times.
- Plans, schedules, prioritizes, and assigns routine and emergency maintenance, preventative maintenance and annual inspections and repair work; communicates status of repairs to appropriate personnel, working cooperatively to schedule repairs in accordance with established and special operational priorities.
- Provides reports and/or update measures, monitoring the work load and operations and activities of the Maintenance Division; implements quality control measures; identifies opportunities for improving service delivery methods and procedures; provides recommendations concerning process changes and operational efficiencies; reviews recommendations with appropriate management staff and implements agreed-upon improvements.
- May answer emergency phone calls for after-hours maintenance support on a secondary basis, provides support as needed to the primary on-call duty staff, and when necessary responds to calls as well and/or calls in a vendor.
- Manages procurement of and relationships with third-party vendors for a wide range of contracted services, including but not limited to cycle and vacancy painting and flooring replacement, elevator maintenance, landscaping, and similar ongoing maintenance needs, ensuring work is done in compliance with contract requirements.
- May provide input into the design, engineering, construction, and field inspection processes for Capital Improvement and Extraordinary Maintenance Projects to ensure contractors’ compliance with Housing Authority standards; attends preconstruction meetings; performs detailed plan checks of construction and design to ensure adherence to established policy and sound engineering practices.
- Monitors the maintenance budget monthly. Manages inventory control to ensure that adequate but not excessive stock is kept and that costs are adequately budgeted for and assigned to the correct properties.
- Recommends training for employees in work methods, use of tools and equipment, and relevant safety precautions.
- Assists in developing short-term and long-term plans, work plans, procedures, and schedules.
- Responds to complaints and answers questions from tenants or escalates to management, as necessary.
- Observes safe work methods and makes appropriate use of related safety equipment as required.
- Maintains public facilities of shop areas, storage sites, and other work areas in a clean and orderly condition, including securing equipment at the close of the workday.
- Manages the disaster recovery plan for the agency and represents the agency at meetings on such topics.
- Maintains accurate computerized logs and records of work performed and materials and equipment used; prepares reports as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge and Abilities
- Principles and practices of employee supervision, including work planning, assignment, review and evaluation, discipline, and the training of staff in work procedures.
- Techniques for managing systems and providing a high level of customer service to the public and Housing Authority staff, in person and over the telephone.
- Record keeping principles and procedures; basic computer applications related to the work; English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation; basic arithmetic related to mechanical, electrical, and electronic components.
- Yardi, TenMast or Emphysis (or similar) knowledge and ability to utilize electronic systems to manage and monitor workflow.
- Safe work methods and safety practices pertaining to the work, including the handling of hazardous chemicals; safe driving rules and practices.
- Principles and practices, methods, equipment, tools, and materials used in maintaining, repairing, constructing, and installing buildings and facilities, including carpentry, plumbing, painting, masonry, and mechanical and electrical work.
- Ability to work in less than ideal conditions, g. noise, high traffic areas, etc.
- Ability to estimate building and repair costs and to prepare specifications for new purchases for equipment and supplies.
- Ability to orient other workers and to explain organizational policies, rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, vendors, consultants, contractors, architects, residents, HUD, and local, state, and federal officials; ability to communicate with people from a broad range of socio-economic
- Ability to establish, monitor, and achieve objectives through skillful delegation of
- Ability to physically walk and survey facilities in order to conduct
- Ability to work/inspect in wet, damp, hot, cold, or dusty
- Ability to stoop kneel in order to gain access to work
- Ability to work while standing for extended periods of
- Ability to lift 50 unassisted.
Minimum Education, Training, and/or Experience
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- Equivalent to graduation from an accredited two or four-year college or university with major coursework in construction management, urban studies, public administration, property management, or a related field
- Four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in maintenance operations and management, including one year of lead or supervisory experience, two years preferred. Experience with underserved populations and rental housing is preferred.
- A valid driver’s license
- Possession of CMM and CAMT certification or ability to become certified within 12 months of the date of hire is required.
- On-call 24-hours to respond to emergencies
CHESTER HOUSING AUTHORITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AND IS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE